As time passes by, technology gets more advanced. As a human, we naturally want to be at ease. Throughout the years, riders depended on shifters mounted on the downtube.
But for easy and safe riding, now it’s available on handlebars. However, it’s not that we can only have shift gearing on handlebars.
Riders who are experienced in riding and comfortable with downtube gear shifting can easily use this mechanism.
Basically, it depends on people how feasible they are at this.
Below I have explained how downtube Shifters work for your better understanding!
How do downtube Shifters work?
Downtube Shifters work between high gears and low gears with the help of cables.
There is a left lever, which shifts the front derailleur. This supports the chain to move into a smaller sprocket. And the right lever shifts the rear derailleur, which keeps the chain moving to a larger sprocket.
Shifting to a smaller sprocket increases acceleration. And shifting to the larger sprocket reduces the acceleration.
By moving the shift lever, the rider sends pressure to drag the cable, which moves the derailleur.
Some good Downtube Shifters:
Shimano downtube shifters: This downtube shifter allows powerful braking and easy shifting. This comes in standard color. Highly recommended for steel-framed bikes. Also very good for the retro racer.
This is a silver color downtube, is of 8 speed. Good for double and triple chainrings. These downtube shifters come from very good alloys. Changing these gears and shifting is quite easy. These shifters do not need as much maintenance as other shifters.
This downtube helps the components work better and is durable. It’s of steel frame and nine-speed compatible guarantees your maximum safety. It is durable, light, and reliable
Benefits of using downtube shifters
Using downtube shifters might not be comfortable for all, but this has quite good advantages.
That’s listed below –
- Easy and simple installation process: Mounting downtubes on the frame would surely need some technical knowledge. But if you’re the kind of person who likes to make or create things by yourself, it would take only a few minutes to install the system.
- Affordable price: Downtube shifters are cheaper than any other gear. You can find it on the second-hand market too. So, if you are comfortable using downtube, then buying this at an affordable price won’t be a bad idea.
Disadvantages of Downtube Shifters
- Risk while riding: As Downtube Shifters is on the frame, you have to take off your one hand from the handlebar. As a result, sometimes you might lose stability.
- Uncomfortable to ride: For all riders, it won’t be comfortable while riding. Taking off your one hand from the handlebar, again and again, might become annoying to you. But if you are feasible at using it, that won’t be a problem.
How to Install Downtube Shifters
- On the downtube, install the shifter
- Connect shifters with fittings
- Insert the cable into the hole. Then combined with the derailleur
- Now adjust the screws to an appropriate range
- Repeat the same with the front derailleur and tense the lever again
- Adjust it to the expected position and switch the shifter from index to friction
Are Downtube Shifters still available in the market?
Yes. This has been available in the market till now. Advancement of the system still couldn’t remove the habit of 90’s riders, and the people habituated to using it.
Many riders are riding with Downtube Shifters. That’s why producing this shifter hasn’t stopped yet. These shifters are entirely the same as before.
Moreover, they were the first gear shifters ever to use.
Downtube Shifters related FAQs
Are Downtube Shifters easy to use?
Well, that quietly depends on people. Some people find it easy to use because they are habituated and comfortable. For some, it may come as annoying.
2. Are Downtube Shifters expensive?
No, Downtube Shifters comes at a very affordable price in the market.
You really won’t have to spend many bucks on it.
3. Is it hard to install?
It’s not hard to install. You can install it following very quick steps, which might take nearly 30 minutes.
Riders, who are comfortable using this shifter, can easily ride this bike. After all, in the ’90s these were the only shifters people used to use. Besides, these are easy to install and come at a very affordable price.